Friday, September 10, 2010

Random Complaints

1. There are these "pro-life" billboards by the side of the road that I take to work everyday. They read "Pregnant? Your baby's heart is already beating." and depict a blond woman with way too much make-up on holding up a positive pregnancy test with a scared look on her face. Why the lies? Using deception to promote an agenda is counterproductive. When people realize that you justify your position with misinformation, they will assume that that was the only way it could be justified, which leaves you and your claims with no credibility at all. This is along the lines of the ads that show a 16-week, fully formed, fetus and read "My heart is beating 18 days after conception". While the latter ad is much more accurate, why not show what it really looks like 18 days after conception? Well here you go...

I know it's strange but, personally, I can't help but remember being pregnant with Dahlia and feel a bit warm and fuzzy when I look at this. Still, it wouldn't do much in the way of guilting a woman into to keeping an unwanted pregnancy. Even so, it is truth. And the decision to abort or carry a pregnancy to term should be based on nothing less.

2. Why doesn't my 2 year old take me seriously when I tell her not to do something? Yet, all my husband has to do is raise his voice and she cries like the world is coming to an end! I am always consistent. When I threaten to punish her, I always follow through. I never negotiate with her. My husband rarely disciplines her at all! I think kids are naturally more intimidated by men than women- but that doesn't make it any easier!

3. Why is this religious zealot pastor from the sticks world famous now? For threatening to burn the Koran?! Come on, REALLY? If this was a bible or an American flag he was threatening to burn, you wouldn't hear a second word about it. Everyone is so afraid to offend the Muslims for fear that extremist will retaliate, that you have political and religious leaders from all around the world pleading with this nobody not to exercise his freedom of expression! Terrorists are like Freddy Krueger or the Boogeyman in that they thrive off of people's fear. It makes them stronger. Take that fear away, show some courage, and you strip them of their power. Anyway, lesson learned. If you want to be famous overnight, just threaten to burn the Koran!

No comments:

Post a Comment